Are you passionate about making a difference in business and to the area in which you live and work? The Devon & Plymouth Chamber is seeking a high-calibre business professional to join its team and do just that.
This is an exciting position that involves driving the membership experience and leading the team which includes communications, events and CRM functions, to grow the membership and sell all aspects of the Chamber.
The role represents a unique opportunity for someone who wants a challenging, varied and interesting role in the heart of the business community. If you have business experience, energy and determination combined with excellent communication skills, this could be the perfect role for you.
The Devon & Plymouth Chamber is a 208-year-old membership organisation and the premier business group in the County and City.
Providing a range of member benefits, events, training and support to our members, comprising everything from small start-ups to major international brands, the Chamber works in partnership across the public and private sector to make our area the best place in which to do business.
Devon & Plymouth Chamber lobbies hard for our area and incorporates the Plymouth Area Business Council. The International Trade team at the Chamber also delivers training, advice and documentation services to a range of exporters.
The Chamber is now looking to grow its membership base further and deliver its services across the County and beyond.
The Membership Experience Manager is a senior position, reporting directly to the CEO, that manages the entire membership, communications and events offering of the Chamber and sells all its services.
You will supervise a small but dedicated team that recruits into and serves our membership with an array of high-quality events, together with the marketing of the same and our other services to grow an active and engaged membership.
You will be directly responsible for implementing member recruitment and retention plans, for managing the member journey and for delivering an events programme that adds value to our membership and other business organisations.
Overarching all this will be a marketing and communications strategy that positions the Chamber as the most effective and ubiquitous business membership organisation in our area.
This is a challenging and rewarding position that offers the right person a chance to make a real difference to the business community.
The successful applicant will be a dynamic self-starter with recent and relevant experience that includes business development, managing a team and marketing communications at a strategic level.
In addition, they will have demonstrable success in growing a business through sales, business development and/or marketing strategies. While experience of membership organisations is not essential, it would be an advantage.
Excellent communication skills and a smart appearance combined with quiet confidence will give the right candidate a certain degree of gravitas that garners respect in the business community and enables them to relate to everyone from those taking their first steps in business to the heads of major international brands.
While qualifications are useful, it is more about experience and attitude; the membership experience manager will put quality at the heart of what they do and have a determined commitment to delivering results.
If this is you, then get in touch and tell us how you can make a real difference to the Chamber and its members.
Hours: Full Time. Attending events outside of usual business hours will be a frequent requirement of the role.
Salary: Up to £40k dependent upon experience.
Application process: Email your CV and cover letter in Word or PDF format to email@example.com or get in touch if you wish to discuss the role.
The key responsibilities of the post are to:
- Deliver the membership strategy of the organisation
- Set out and execute a plan for membership recruitment and retention
- Sell the benefits of membership to businesses in the area and increase member numbers
- Sell all Chamber products, services and sponsorships
- Provide a key face for members to identify with the Chamber, and provide support/signposting
- Coordinate membership with the events and communications functions
- Be responsible for managing the membership journey
- Oversee the production of a program of high-quality value-added events
- Drive a coordinated marketing plan for membership, events and other Chamber services
Duties of the role include but are not limited to:
- Setting out a clear and coherent membership strategy
- Promoting other Chamber services and supporting the development of the Chamber as required
- Managing, mentoring and motivating the events and marketing executives and CR(M) Apprentice
- Overseeing the delivery of a quality events program
- Ensuring effective use of the Chamber CRM system
- Setting targets for the team and managing their delivery
- Reporting to the Chief Executive on results against Key Performance Indicators
- Identify as a key professional advocate of the Chamber and present as such
This is a senior role, but forms part of a small team and the post holder will also be required to:
- Research and identify potential target businesses, prospect for leads, cold call, make appointments and have face to face and telephone meetings
- Following up on introductions made by other members of the team
Skills and experience
- Confident, well-presented, professional, polite and friendly, but with determination, personal resilience and the ability to cope with rejection
- Effective communication (verbal and written) and numeracy skills
- Strong commercial awareness and an understanding of the challenges faced by businesses
- Proven track record in a business development or sales role
- Deep understanding of marketing communications
- Experience of managing, mentoring and motivating others
- Good IT skills, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Commitment to a high standard of customer service
- Ability to regularly work outside of normal business hours
- Driving licence and use of own car (mileage expenses will be paid)
- Experience of working in a membership organisation
- Knowledge of CMS and CRM systems
- Understanding and experience of modern digital marketing methods
This is a full-time permanent post, subject to a six-month initial probationary period.